I've made this a few times now on Snapchat - it's pretty much my go-to comfort dinner, and I always get asked about it. I think the recipe was in a Slimming World magazine last year or the year before, but I tweak it a bit to suit me. Don't be afraid to tweak recipes - if you don't like prawns, you can substitute chicken, turkey or pork in this recipe. You could add vegetables, swap vegetables, or just use whatever you have to hand.
My recipe is 2 Syns per portion - that's using 25g of Tesco Finest Chorizo. If you use a different brand and are counting Syns, double check your own brand.
Chorizo and Prawn Paella
Serves 2 | Ready in under 30 mins |
* 200g dried paella rice
* 1 chicken stock cube dissolved in 700ml boiling water
* 1 onion, diced
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 2 spring onions, chopped
* 100g cooked prawns, diced (or 100g diced cooked chicken)
* 25g chorizo, finely diced
* 100g green beans, broccoli, or whatever green veg you like, chopped up.
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 teaspoon turmeric
* If using frozen green beans or frozen prawns, defrost both in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. Chop the green beans into 2-3 pieces. If using broccoli, separate into small florets.
* Spray a large saucepan or wok with frylight, turn on a medium heat.
* Add the diced onion, chorizo and garlic to the wok. Stir fry until the onion is softened.
* Add the turmeric and paprika, stir for a minute, add the dry paella rice, stir until everything is coated in spice.
* Add the stock slowly. Don't worry if it looks sloppy - it will evaporate.
* Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes - stir often. If you need to add more liquid, do.
* Add the prawns, spring onion, and green beans, simmer until rice is cooked through.
* Serve with broccoli, asparagus, or whatever veg you like.
This keeps really well in an airtight container in the fridge and tastes even nicer the next day.
Note #1: I buy Tesco brand Paella Rice (€1.55). It's not with the other rice and pasta - it's with the oriental ingredients, on the same aisle as the oils and spices. The Chorizo I buy is from the Tesco Finest range (€4), I cut it into 25g chunks and use as I need it (it will keep for over a month in the fridge and I think you can freeze it too). 25g - 4 Syns. Here are the packets in case you want to look for them yourself:
Note #2: I tried to make this with vegetable stock instead of chicken stock and it definitely lost some of the flavour, I wouldn't recommend it.