I fell in love with Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade last year. I love how it applies, I love how it looks, and it has completely overtaken brow pencils for me almost every time I do my makeup. I like strong, dark brow and that's exactly what I get with the shade Medium Brown.
However - it's hard enough to get sometimes. Cult Beauty and Beautybay stock it, but it's just hassle ordering and waiting sometimes. Plus, it's €17.90 from Beautybay before you factor shipping in, and £15 from Cult Beauty before the ridiculous exchange rate. When I saw the NYX Tame & Frame Pomade on the Cara Pharmacy website priced at €7.75, I ordered it to my local store immediately and picked it up a few days later. I went for the darkest shade available on the site, Brunette. I've since seen a darker shade called Espresso that I'd probably have gone for instead, but this one is fine.
In the interest of fairness, I used the same type of brow brush for both - the Blank Canvas E38.
Warning - Resting Bitch Face in all these photos. (Sorry!).
No Brow Products:
Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade in Medium Brown on the Right:
Anastasia on the Right, NYX Tame & Frame Pomade on the Left.
There's actually a fair bit of shade variation between the two brands, but it's not overly noticeable on the brows. If you find Medium Brown a bit too warm for you, or if you use the shade Chocolate in the Anastasia, you might get on well with Brunette in NYX.
- NYX is definitely better value. It's over €10 cheaper and you get more product - 5g as opposed to Anastasia's 4g.
- Anastasia has a much better shade selection, especially for blondes or redheads. They have 12, NYX have 5.
- NYX is becoming easier to get - it's stocked on a number of websites including Stauntons, Meaghers, Cara Pharmacy, McCabes, Sam McCauley, Littlewoods, plus it's available in lots of stores nationwide.
- The Anastasia is a more solid product. The NYX seems to be a little lighter in consistency, like a gel/mousse hybrid. It seems easier to blend. This may solidify over time as my Anastasia has done.
- The NYX takes a little longer to set than the Anastasia.
So, Are They Dupes? Well, it's incredibly close. Both are waterproof. Both stay put all day. Both apply flawlessly with a good brush. Both give a long-lasting effect. Both look the same. Both perform the same. I had to keep going back and checking my photo names because I couldn't remember which brand was on which brow. Neither rubbed off on my fingers. Both products have very, very similar ingredients. If you can find a shade to suit you in the NYX, I'd recommend picking it up.
I'll use up my Anastasia, and I'll hunt down the Espresso shade in the NYX. If it's the cool dark brown I'm after, we have a new winner and my days of importing Pomade are behind me.